Most of us can afford a holiday to just one place, and sometimes we run out of things to do during a long trip because there’s nothing much on offer.
If you’re planning a trip to Sikkim, since you’ve heard endless tales of its beauty, you can also add one more destination that’s just 3.5 hours away—Darjeeling in West Bengal. These two destinations are often clubbed together because of the short distance between them and the experiences are totally different.
Both are Himalayan kingdoms but vary in certain aspects such as landscape, local culture, communities, etc.
- Sikkim is close to the Tibet-China border, and you can get amazingly close to it at Nathu La Pass.
- There are a lot of high-altitude lakes that are breathtaking such as Gurudongmar Lake and Tsomgo Lake.
- You can visit a number of national parks that are teeming with unique flora and fauna. They are the perfect places for hikes and treks.
- Sikkim has some of the oldest monasteries.
- The presence of the 3 main tribes- Nepalis, Lepchas, and Bhutias- brings a unique gastronomical offering to try out.
- Sikkim experiences snowfall in the winter months.
- Darjeeling was once the summer destination of the British. The colonial buildings are a testament to it and provide an old-world charm to the streets of Darjeeling.
- You get the closest view of Mt. Khangchendzonga from Darjeeling. And one of the best views is from Tiger Hill, the highest point.
- It is home to the Darjeeling Himalayan Railway, a UNESCO World Heritage site.
- Tea is Darjeeling’s specialty, and it has numerous tea gardens where you can take a garden and factory tour and taste it ofcourse.
Check out this Sikkim Darjeeling Gangtok tour package and book a memorable holiday this year.